Festive Quiz Questions
1) What colour are the berries of the Mistletoe plant?
2) What is the chemical formula of snow?
3) Brandy is made from distilling what?
4) Which song was recorded by Aled Jones and a hit single from The Snowman?
(Answer: Walking in the Air)
5) What is the birth sign of people born on 25th December?
6) Before the tradition of hanging stockings up at Christmas what did Dutch children place by the fireside?
(Answer: Shoes / Clogs)
7) The Nordic countries tend to celebrate Christmas primarily on what date?
(Answer: 24th December)
8) How many gifts are given in total in the song ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’
9) Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean is a territory of which country?
10) In what country, the world’s seventh largest by geographical area, is Christmas known as ‘Bada Din’ (the big day)?
11) Marzipan is traditionally made from sugar, flour and which nut?
12) Who composed the music known as The Nutcracker Suite, for the Christmas themed ballet ‘The Nutcracker’, premiered in St Petersburg 1892? (Extra points for correct spelling!)
1) While in space on December 16th 1965 the following report was sent to Mission Control: “We have an object, looks like a satellite going from north to south, probably in Polar orbit ... I see a command module and eight smaller modules in front. The pilot of the command module is wearing a red suit....” What song did they then start playing and on what instrument?
(Answer: Jingle Bells on the Harmonica)
2) Name the original eight reindeer from the ‘Twas the night before Christmas’ poem
(Answer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen)
3) Who are the four ghosts in Charles Dickens’ ‘A Christmas Carol’?
(Answer: Christmas Past, Christmas Present, Christmas Yet to Come and Jacob Marley)