Having been there and done that, I think that I am well qualified (OWL=INTELLIGENCE) to give some advice to those who may be experiencing the "Raid Qualification Blues!"
I know that the path to 70 is a trying experience! All of the long hours spent grinding quest after quest, level after level, and zone after zone can drive one to the bottle (and probably has for some)
I remember when my first toon hit 70 and thought that the game had come to an end
! I soon became aware that it had only just begun! I had to acquire a flying mount, farm for hours to get my blacksmithing to 375, GEAR UP MY TOON, etc....etc...etc..... The game became alot like WORK!
The frustration soon set in and I became increasing reliant on others to assist me. I became even more frustrated when I couldn't get the help when I NEEDED IT
! Over time though, I learned to become Self-Sufficient.....I began to utilize all of the tools available to acquire items in a timely fashion. All of the sudden I found help, gear, and was "in the mix" with the rest of my guildies! I was able to experience the upper level content which, at one point, I thought I was never going to see.
Here is how:
1) Guild Requirements - Know what the guild requirements are for your specific class/spec! At this point they may seem out of reach...but with some effort...all is good! Understand that these requirements are not to hinder you but to benefit, not only you and your toon, but those that you will be slaying
with! WE....NOT....ME....has to be the mentality! Once I knew what my goals were I turned to......
2) WoW Forums - Having had alot of questions about my class and spec I turned to this and became a student! I began to post questions and, as a result, began to get answers. There are those with TONS of knowledge out there that will jump at an opportunity to assist those who are willing to listen. I learned about gear, specs, spell/melee rotations, etc....from those who have been there and done that! Once I knew about the class/spec, I soon turned to the....
3) WoW Armory - Now that I had some knowledge about my toon, I used this AWESOME TOOL! Just by clicking on an item that was equipped, I got a massive list of upgradable items. From this, I was able to create a "want list" that consisted of items that were beneficial and relatively easy to obtain (quests/trade skills) that would qualify me. I could now start to......
4) PLAN - I knew about my toon and had a gear list, now I just had to come up with a plan to go about getting it! The questing part was easy....the armory gives you the name of the quest in which you will receive the item that you covet.....plug that quest into THOTT......you will receive the entire quest line......most of the quest lines are easily soloed to a point. Next.....FARM....farm the mats for the items that you can make or need a guildie to make/enchant for you! Similarly, I used THOTT to figure out the mats. Now, the only thing I did was.......
5) Schedule - I utilized the guild website....Informed everyone where I was at with a quest/enchant/item....what needed to be done...and requested help! Amazingly, I found a lot of people who were willing to assist....I just had to work around their schedule. I did all of the work....I just required a 1/2 hour or so. I find that it is much easier to accommodate some ones need if they are prepared.....I have things to do also!
Let me be clear........I AM TRYING TO HELP THOSE WHO ARE GETTING FRUSTRATED! WoW is an interesting game and sometimes the "sense of accomplishment" is was continues to drive me! Be proactive.....it will certainly speed up the process.
P.S. Others may have a different opinion or better advice....plz feel free to have at it!