I'm writing a step by step guide on how to download and install any plugins you might want to try for LOTRO.
1. Go to your My Documents folder and create a new folder inside The Lord of the Rings Online directory called Plugins. Example C:\Users\Jay\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\Plugins (Assuming you have Windows 7. It should be the same directory on Windows XP or Vista)
2. Open Internet Explorer, go to this link, and save the file to your computer. It doesn't work with Firefox so be sure to use IE for this one link.
It is a 7zip file. I'm not sure if WinZip or WinRar work with 7zip but if not you can get 7zip here. http://www.7-zip.org/
3. Unzip the Beta_LuaPlugins file to C:\Users\username\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\
That will install the Lua library files needed to run other user created plugins. It is a Turbine created file so do not worry about violating the EULA.
4. Now you're ready to start browsing for plugins. Go to www.lotrointerface.com. They have the newest additions on the listing on the right side of the site. But you can also browse the download section at http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/cat8.html. This section has UI skins and UI plugins so it's all in one place.
5. I'll use Buffbars as an example. I go to http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info361-BuffBars.html and click download.
6. Then unzip the Buffbars file to your Plugins folder. (C:\Users\username\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\Plugins)
7. Now log into LOTRO. Once in game type in the chatbox /plugins load Buffbars
Congradulations. You've successfully (hopefully) installed your first plugin for LOTRO. You can usually access the options for each plugin by right clicking on the active plugin window or by typing a command in the chatbox. Different plugins have different commands so be sure to read the description info on the website when downloading the plugin.
There are easier ways to load a plugin when in game for those too lazy to type the command everytime you log in. I'm guilty of this myself. Unfortunately the LUA plugin system is still in a beta phase so you have to manually load the plugin each time you enter the game. The Devs have said they are working on a way to make plugins load automically when you log in but that won't be ready until a future update. For now though you can create command shortcuts on your toolbars if you don't want to type out the command.
To do this follow these steps.
1. Unlock your toolbars if you have them locked.
2. Move the current item out of your very first toolbar button slot on your main toolbar (this is just temporary... drop it into an open slot).
3. Type the command: /shortcut 1 /plugins load Buffbars
4. Now drag that shortcut to where you want your "click here to load your plugins" button.
5. Move your original toolbar button item back into the first slot.
6. Re-lock your toolbars if you want.
Then whenever you enter the game just click the new shortcut on your toolbar to load the plugin. Simple and efficent.
I HIGHLY recommend everyone downloads and installs Plugin Manager. It is a checklist window of all your plugins so you don't have to type them out. Just check and apply to start the plugins.
It can be downloaded from http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/PluginManager02.zip
If you want to just create a shortcut for Plugin Manager instead just type /shortcut 1 /plugins load Manager
I hope you find this helpful. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.
Here are some links for a few plug in reviews so you can get an idea of how they work.
How to install Plugins video
PluginManager and HunterTravel
Palantir (HUD mod)